Need an easy dinner for busy weeknights? This chicken and rice dinner Bosnian-style is a one-pot wonder that makes the perfect solution for lazy evenings! It includes tender veggies, juicy chicken thighs, and light rice cooked in a rich tomato sauce for the perfect comforting dinner!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally published in April 2017. It was updated in April of 2020 with new photos and extensive recipe tips.
I’d be happy to bet that you need more one-pot dinners in your life. After all, what sort of person doesn’t like a quick and easy dinner with minimal washing up? Just chuck everything into the pot and call it a day!
Plus, this dinner is gluten-free, packed full of veggies and perfect for kids who love American-style chicken and rice, but need some variety both for their health and your sanity!
What’s not to like? After all, just one pot to wash up makes the whole dinner more enjoyable - especially for whoever has to do the washing up after!
Ingredients for one-pot chicken rice:
You don’t need too much - and the ingredients are all pretty standard so chances are that you have at least some of them already!
See? It looks like a lot, but you probably already have most of it and all of the ingredients are cheap so it really isn’t as bad as it looks!
You might also notice that there’s a small lack of herbs and spices - that’s because this recipe is intended to be pretty light and simple. However, if you want to spice things up then go for it!
Ingredient and Recipe Notes:
1. CHICKEN BROTH OR STOCK?
What's the difference?
- Stock is made by primarily simmering the bones and vegetables for a long time.
- The broth is made by cooking the meat, possibly bones, and vegetables.
- Bone broth is a hybrid of broth and stock.
2. CAN I USE CHICKEN BREAST INSTEAD OF THIGHS?
Chicken thighs offer more flavor, but you can make it with chicken breast or turkey meat too if that's your preference.
3. CAN I MAKE IT VEGETARIAN?
Yes - of course! Just add extra veggies, use veggie broth, and remove the chicken - super simple! It’s actually vegan that way as well!
4. WHAT'S THE BEST RICE TO USE?
Either the Jasmine or Basmati rice works well in this recipe. If you prefer brown rice, then par-boil it before adding it to the pot.
You could also use the minute-rice, but cook the meat and vegetables in sauce first, then add it towards the end of cooking. Adjust the rice-liquid ratio as necessary.
Arborio rice is typically used for risottos and you can still use it if you like, but note that your dish might get too dense and sticky.
5. CAN I USE EXTRA VEGGIES?
Of course! I’d recommend using any of these:
- Celery stalks
- Green beans
- Zucchini (add it towards the end of cooking to prevent it from becoming mushy)
- Broccoli florets
- Greens such as spinach or kale
What to serve with this dish?
A side of salad greens complements this creamy dish perfectly. And a glass of your favorite wine, of course! 🍷
How do I store leftovers?
Just allow them to cool to room temperature and then store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days! When you’re ready to reheat it, just microwave until piping hot.
How to make this Bosnian dish?
The simple combination of chicken and rice mixed with vegetables requires no kitchen skills. Trust me, it’s that easy to make! Only 4 steps!
*Keep scrolling to get the full (printable) recipe, ingredient amounts, and more tips.
The best part, it cooks in less than 30 minutes. Raise your hand if you want a delicious homemade dinner on the table that didn’t take hours to make! 🙋🏻♀️
And even better: cooked in one pot there are almost no dirty dishes to speak of. That is why we love this easy chicken and rice recipe, and you should too.
Love this one-skillet rice recipe? I bet you'd also like...
- COLOMBIAN PORK AND SAUSAGE RISOTTO (you will love Latin flavors in this dish)
- QUICK AND EASY SHRIMP RISOTTO (another family favorite!)
- BOSNIAN DJUVEC RICE (cozy vegetable and rice side dish)
One-Pot Chicken Rice Dinner
- Cast iron skillet with a lid or a Dutch oven
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 bell pepper any color, chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Add 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces and brown until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Deglaze the pot with 1 cup crushed tomatoes and 1 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth. Add 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup uncooked rice; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked through, 10-12 minutes (add more stock or water, if necessary, to finish cooking the rice).
- Finally, sprinkle with fresh parsley leaves before serving.
- Some people have texture issues with different vegetables or have other aversions (I, for one, hate carrots). You can help by grating the carrots and onions and otherwise use the vegetables you know they like.
- If you're out of chicken stock or broth, use beef or vegetable instead. Another good substitute is a good quality bouillon dissolved in water.
- Feel free to add your own herbs and spices. We kept it simple.
- Bosnians like to replace salt with Vegeta.
- For the best results, read additional tips in the post above.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used.