Need a side dish that complements just about any meal? This South Africa's sultana yellow rice gets its vibrant yellow color from turmeric and curry, and its sweet note from sultanas. It has a fragrant, wonderful aroma that is not overpowering and makes a great accompaniment to any meat or beans dish.
South Africa's rice dish with turmeric and curry has a fragrant, wonderful aroma and is a great accompaniment to just about any meal.
Yellow rice is traditionally served with bobotie but it's also the perfect side for a holiday meal.
Sultana Yellow Rice with Turmeric & Curry
Honestly, I made the yellow rice just to fully experience traditional South Africa's meal but didn't think I'd like it. I only like raisins in my cookies but sultanas are a total game-changer. Sultana is a seedless white grape variety.
When dried, sultanas (mainly produced in Turkey) are golden in color and tend to be much plumper, sweeter, and juicier than other raisins.Fragrant yellow #rice with #sultanas, #turmeric, and #curry is South Africa's delicious side dish. Try new foods! #sidedish #recipe
I've been a fan of turmeric and curry for years. Turmeric is a powerful spice with a large list of uses and benefits. It is best known for its antioxidant, but studies show it may help fight infections, reduce inflammation, and treat digestive problems.
I love to season my chicken with turmeric and curry for roasting. It gives a wonderful aroma and the skin gets such a beautiful deep golden color. Yellow rice is a great side for chicken as well. A firework of delicious flavors!
What's in this South African rice dish?
- Rice - Best to use fragrant rice such as Basmati or Jasmine
- Butter - Nothing beats real butter, but you can use vegan butter or oil if you prefer
- Sultanas - Golden raisins
- Brown sugar
- Vegetable broth - For even better flavor, use chicken broth
- salt and pepper - to taste
If you're new to sultanas, now you have a yummy reason to purchase them. They are truly the golden ingredient in this rice recipe. My family loves it and I'm certain, you will too. 🙂
How do I make yellow rice with golden raisins?
Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the rice and gently stir until rice begins to turn opaque.
Add sultanas, turmeric, curry, and sugar and stir until well mixed in.
Slowly stir in chicken broth and raise heat to medium-high. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Try adding turmeric to vegetables before roasting or sautéeing. A little goes a long way and if you think you won't use up a whole package anytime soon, consider buying it in bulk.
Health stores like Whole Foods or Fresh Thyme offer spices you can buy by spoons, jars, or whatever amount you need. It's also useful for making your own spice blends.
for Sultana Yellow Rice
What other rice dishes should I try?
Sultana Yellow Rice
- Medium saucepan
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed & drained
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and gently stir until rice begins to turn opaque.
- Add sultanas, turmeric, curry, and sugar and stir until well mixed in.
- Slowly stir in vegetable broth and raise heat to medium-high. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Substitute sultanas with raisins, which are less sweet.
- You can omit the brown sugar if you wish.