Have an excess of cooked burgers after hosting your BBQ party? Turn them into family-friendly weeknight dinners like this leftover cheeseburger salad drizzled with homemade hamburger dressing and topped with crumbled chips.
Not only is it quick and easy to make but absolutely delicious and light too. It’s a perfect solution for lazy weekdays.
If you’re like me, you load up your grill with food to last for days. I always feel like a waste if I’m not crowding it with all kinds of goodies, don’t you? I asked that question on my Facebook page and most people tend to agree.
Leftover Cheeseburger Salad
It’s a given to have cookout leftovers when COOKOUT SEASON is in high gear, especially for holiday weekends like Memorial Day or Fourth of July. Too much is always better than not enough when it comes to food.
Cook once eat all week is such an easy solution for busy people. Who doesn’t want to spend more time with family and friends instead of cooking every day, amirite?
In just a few minutes you’ll have a delightful lunch at home or on the go. I like to add crumbled bacon and chopped pickles to this cheeseburger salad too or add whatever you usually put on your BURGER. The more the merrier.
If you are wanting a little bit more protein and fat in this salad, add in some leftover chicken pieces and top with sliced avocado. Ta-da! You’ll be amazed at how substantial this meal is.
Ingredients for cheeseburger salad:
You will need just a few budget-friendly ingredients, but feel free to add more to it as you feel fit.
- Leftover cooked hamburgers (or cheeseburgers) – we used beef, but turkey and chicken burgers are great too.
- Lettuce – Romaine, butterhead, Boston bib, flat-leaf, or whichever salad is your preference.
- Tomatoes – I prefer Roma or cherry tomatoes. But don’t let those meaty tomato slices you have leftover go to waste.
- Cheddar cheese – I used shredded sharp cheddar, you go with what you have. American, pepper jack, Swiss, provolone, and even blue cheese, feta, or goat cheese are all an excellent choice.
- Red onion – white or yellow works too, if you like strong onion flavor.
- Baked potato chips – Sub with chips you like.
Homemade dressings are the best, and this one needs only two pantry ingredients:
- Mayo – I like Hellmann’s Real.
- Ketchup – Whatever you have in your fridge. I love German curry-spiced ketchup. It adds so much flavor!
How to make this salad:
This salad is for two people. Feel free to double the recipe as necessary.
*Keep scrolling to get the full (printable) recipe with detailed instructions and more tips, or click the “Skip to Recipe” button at the top of the page.
- Divide the lettuce, chopped burgers, tomatoes, cheese, and onions among two salad bowls.
- Wisk together the mayo, ketchup, and water in a small bowl. Drizzle evenly over salads.
- Sprinkle with crushed potato chips.
What else to do with leftover [cheese]burgers?
When you’re left with an abundance of burgers (always true after the Fourth of July celebration), you can either freeze them or eat them for days. Besides this cheeseburger salad, here are 10 more uses for leftover cooked hamburgers:
- Crumble and use in tacos or quesadilla.
- Put them on a baguette with grilled onions, pepperoncini, and top with marinara and melted provolone cheese – like a meatball sub.
- Crumble the hamburger up and heat it in spaghetti sauce. Serve over spaghetti.
- Mix crumbled hamburger with sautéed onion, green pepper, cooked rice, and tomato sauce and use to stuff green peppers. Top with shredded cheese, cover and bake until peppers are tender.
- Crumble up and mix with sloppy joe sauce.
- Crumble and use as a topping on homemade pizza.
- Turn them into Salisbury steak: top leftover beef patties with a gravy made from 3 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 cup beef broth, 1 sliced onion, 1 package fresh sliced mushrooms, and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Crumble the burgers and add to chili.
- Use it to make a Shepherd’s pie.
- Make a cheeseburger omelet.
Do you have any recipes for using leftover burgers?
for Leftover Cheeseburger Salad
Other refreshing salads you might enjoy:
- POLISH CUCUMBER SALAD MIZERIA
- WATERMELON YOGURT SALAD
- COPYCAT SIZZLE PIE RABBIT SALAD
- SWEET AND SOUR APPLE CABBAGE SALAD
- ASIAN ZUCCHINI SALAD
- BOSTON LETTUCE WITH BEEF AND EGGS
Leftover Cheeseburger Salad Recipe
- Cutting board
- 2 leftover cooked hamburgers cut into bite-size
- 6 cups chopped lettuce romaine or butter
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 1 ounce baked potato chips
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Divide the lettuce, burgers, tomatoes, cheese, and onions among two salad bowls.
- With a whisk, combine mayo, ketchup, and water in a small bowl. Drizzle evenly over salads.
- Sprinkle with lightly crushed potato chips. Enjoy!
- You can add crumbled bacon and chopped pickles or your favorite cheeseburger toppings.
- For more protein and fat in this salad, add in some leftover chicken pieces and top with sliced avocado.
- Read additional tips in the post above.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.