Looking for a flavorful and easy dinner recipe, the whole family will love? This slow cooker beer-braised pot roast recipe makes this dish the king of comfort food.
Last night was bitter cold, and husband got called to investigate a fire, which took him a good four hours. He was barely back in bed when it was time to go to work again, poor guy.
When he is on call I cook more substantial meals like this beer-braised pot roast. Using a slow cooker frees up some extra time for me, and cooking the meat slow and long results in a flavorful and tender roast. It's a win-win.
Lucky for him, he's on call only every third week. Anyhow, I bought a big chunk of meat so that we have plenty of leftovers. I seared the roast and placed it in a slow cooker. It just needed the beer.
There was one beer bottle left and it wasn't the stout beer I needed. It was root beer flavored beer my husband was gifted. I REALLY hate root beer and even beer with root beer flavor tastes as strange as it sounds.
We can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Indiana, but by golly, this pot roast was going to be beer-braised! So, in it went.
This recipe for slow cooker beer-braised pot roast was the best I've ever had. And it was so good we barely had leftovers. I served it with my best mashed potatoes and veggies.
- Season the roast with salt, pepper, and thyme. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet and sear it on all sides until it's brown all over. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, thyme, broth, and beer. Turn on high and cook, covered, for 3 hours.
- Remove the lid and add carrots and cornstarch mixed with meat juices into a paste (preventing clumping). Cook on low for another hour or longer, depending on your slow cooker. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.
- Beer and Cheese Soup
- Estonian Mustard Pork
- Roasted Turkey
- Garlic Lemon Chicken
- Browse our home page for recent recipes
Liked this recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section. Your feedback is always appreciated! Stay in touch through Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for my email list below too!
Slow cooker beer-braised pot roast
- Slow Cooker
- 3 pounds beef roast such as chuck
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bottle, 12oz stout beer (or root beer flavored beer if you can find it)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, corn flour for my European friends
- Add onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, broth, and beer. Turn on high and cook, covered, for 3 hours.
- Remove the lid and add carrots and cornstarch mixed with meat juices into a paste (prevents from clumping up). Cook on low for another hour or longer, depending on your slow cooker. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.