Are you a big fan of the famous Chipotle burrito sauce? It's actually super easy to make your own burrito sauce in just 5 minutes!
You will love it drizzled over burritos and tacos, to dip tortilla chips in, spread on a sandwich, or even drizzled over a salad!
This homemade Chipotle sauce is super easy to make and ridiculously tasty. And who wouldn't want to enjoy this sauce without needing to go to a Mexican restaurant or shell out on a meal there?
Sometimes you need a lazy day in with copious amounts of Chipotle sauce - or at least I know that I often do!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally published in May 2017. It was updated in July of 2020 with new photos and recipe tips.
What do I need to make Chipotle burrito sauce?
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this burrito sauce. This helps to keep things cheap and simple. After all, if it's not less expensive (and more delicious) than buying it, then why bother making it in the first place?
- Sour cream is an excellent, fairly common ingredient with a fantastic number of uses - and a delicious sauce is undoubtedly one of them!
- Lime juice adds a bit of citrusy punch that's very important in Mexican food in general. After all, there's a reason that chili and lime are such a good pair!
- Garlic - because no dish or sauce, in this case, is complete without it!
- Chipotle in adobo - to add some fiery heat! You can also use chipotle paste if you prefer.
- Salt and pepper - to taste. I can't give an exact measurement as this is a very personal preference, so I'd have to recommend that you add a little at a time until it tastes perfect!
I must say that chives are a delicious addition if you fancy some extra flavor! Just chop a few up, and you've got that gorgeous fresh, earthy garlic-onion flavor. It works brilliantly with the sour cream and lime in this recipe!
This creamy, spicy sauce with garlic, lime juice, and adobo is so delicious that everyone who tasted it asked for the recipe. And that might be the highest honor that a cook can receive - in my opinion. So, I decided to share it here with all of you as well!
Hopefully, that way, you too can impress everyone you know with the perfect Chipotle sauce - without leaving the house!Easy and delicious homemade Chipotle burrito #sauce in only 5 minutes! #chipotle #adobo #burrito
Why are bold flavors so important in food and cooking?
The main thing I'm known for is enjoying quick and easy meals with big, bold flavors. After all, what could be better than a flavorful dinner that only took minutes to make?
Well, this easy Chipotle sauce certainly meets both of those criteria: it's super easy to make, and super speedy, but it certainly isn't missing any flavor! What could be better than that? This sauce has got it all.
CAN I ADJUST THE SPICE LEVELS IF I PREFER IT HOTTER/MILDER?
Yes - absolutely! Whether you like the spice non-existent, mild, medium, hot, or fire-in-the-mouth hot spice, you can enjoy this sauce! Just start with a little chipotle and add more until it's just right for you!
It's the same with spicy recipes in general. It's always best to start mild and add more if the food needs it. After all, you can always add spice, but you can't always take it away!
How do I make burrito sauce?
*Keep scrolling to get the full (printable) recipe, ingredient amounts, and more tips, or click on the “Skip to Recipe” button at the top of the page.
This is probably the simplest recipe there is! I've got to be honest, it feels like a bit of a cop-out writing instructions for recipes like these. After all, there are just two steps, and one of them is essentially only storage instructions!
So, here we go:
1. Add all ingredients (sour cream, lime juice, garlic, chipotle in adobo, salt, and pepper) to a food processor and pulse until thoroughly combined and smooth.
2. Transfer the sauce into a serving bowl and serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve it.
Trust me, you really couldn't make this any more simple! Even if you're the least-experienced beginner chef on the planet, I promise you that you can make this easy Chipotle sauce recipe!
How should I serve this Mexican sauce?
I like to serve my Chipotle sauce the proper way - drizzled over my homemade Chipotle burrito bowl or use it as a dip for these shrimp in kataifi dough! After all, if you're making the sauce, then why not go the extra mile and make the rest of the meal too?
Although, I have to admit that this sauce is so addictive that I've found myself eating it with tortilla chips, spread on sandwiches, or even drizzled over a salad! Now that I can finally enjoy this Chipotle sauce without leaving the house, I'm in absolute heaven!
What should I try next?
If you like spicy foods, you will love these flavorful dishes:
- SPICY ITALIAN SAUSAGE SLAB PIE
- SPICY FILLO SAMOSA FIRECRACKERS
- MARINATED SPICY SHRIMP SCAMPI
- MEXICAN SPAGHETTI VERACRUZ
How To Make Chipotle Burrito Sauce
- Food processor
- 1 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce more if you like it hot
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup sour cream, 2 tbsp chipotle peppers (or more to taste), garlic, juice of one lime, and salt and pepper to taste to a food processor and pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer sauce into a serving bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Substitute chipotle peppers in adobo with chipotle paste. Add chopped chives, then whisk ingredients together.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is for a cup of sauce and a rough estimate. It can vary significantly based on the products used.